Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I was driving on the freeway when my car loss power. and

Customer Question
gauges started to flicker like...
i was driving on the freeway when my car loss power. and gauges started to flicker like crazy , pulled over because the car had died, tried turning it on and cranks but does not turn on. and there is no check engine light on. i have a toyota celica 2000 gt
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: its not on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, nothing yet , i'm trying to do a little bit of research before i do
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i got the engine rebuilt about 3 months ago, its been running fine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/25/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Does the engine seem to crank faster than normal? Do you have access to the car now?

Is this the 1ZZ-fe engine or 2 ZZ-FE?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its cranks just as normal as always, 1zz and yes i do have access to the car

Can you check for spark at the spark plugs?

do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?

How fast were you going when it stopped?

were there any signs before this, misfire, loss of power?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can check for spark, i was driving about 85 mph and yes i do have 12 volt test light. and it just happen out of nowhere with no signs or symptoms

Ok, we need to start somewhere, checking for spark is usually the first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
once i check the spark plugs and let say there good, where would be the next place to look? (fyi i replaced spark plugs when i had the engine rebuilt about 3 months ago, but i will still check them to make sure)

IF there is spark we need to check fuel next

You can try putting some fuel directly in the intake and see if there is any response from the engine, might be easier than pulling the plugs out at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does harm the engine if i spray a little bit starting fluid into the intake? or is better to do fuel?

Starting fluid is fine, if the spark and ignition system is ok there should be some response like run for a few seconds.

I have to go offline for a couple of hours

If the engine starts using the starting fluid it'a fuel problem which will require further testing, If it does not start it's an ignition problem, with the key on check one of the coil/igniters, there should be 12 volts to the black/white wire, if not start checking fuses under the hood. Let me know what you come up with I'll gt bac to you a little later.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so as I was checking by spraying starting fluid, it kinda wanted to turn over, then the check engine light came on so I scan it and it gave me the code for can shaft position sensor, so I started looking into that area then I found the wires has shorted out with the positive post of the alternator, I cut and reconnect the wires of the csp sensor and attempted to turn it on, but same thing , just cranks won't start, do you think I damaged CSP sensor and need to replace it? Or some fuse/relay?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to connect to PCM so I ruled that out

Thanks , what was the code number you were getting?

Replace the sensor that had the wire damage, this is shielded wire so be sure that neither of the insulated wires make contact with the braided shield, check continuity between the two sensor wires, can't shorted together or open circuit, there should be some reistance of around 800 ohms or so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will, i am go to parts store, I will let u know how it goes after I replace it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Code p0335 and I ment to write crank shaft position sensor

Ok, waiting to hear back from you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replace the sensor and fixed the wires like how u said, and still won't turn on, its doing the same thing from the beggining. at this point I'm not sure what else I can do? Or where to look into

That's too bad, seems we're back at the beginning so let's check for spark, pull one of the coils out, put a spark plug in it, ground the spark plug body and see if here is a nice blue spark jumping across the electrode.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I did that, and there's no spark on none of the spark plugs, is there a chance I damaged the computer?

I don't think so, we need to verify voltage to each of the coils, did you do that altrady? Each coil should have 12 volts at the black white wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's no voltage to the coils

Ok, I'll have to ch3eck where this voltage is supposed to be coming from.

Did you check with the key on?

The black with white tracer right?

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech