Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Ok I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner battery was dead this

Customer Question

Ok I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner battery was dead this morning lights were left on, so after jumping the 4Runner off the AC radio signals, electric seats nothing will work now.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: 2 years everything was working fine until it was jumped off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix myself, I've checked every fuse in both panels I'm thinking maybe a relay but idk how to test them, I have moved some of them around
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did find a 30 amp j fuse blown and replace same, I'm just wondering if my cousin might have hooked the jumper cables up backwards just for a second.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

There's no doubt in my mind that the battery was connected backwards, it's the only thing that will blow fuses while doing so, relays and components are protected pretty well by the fuses so it's not a relay there are more fuses out.

Now a couple of questions:

when turning the key on do the dash lights turn on and do the headlights work?

Does the engine start up and keep running?

Do you have something to check voltage with, a test light or voltmeter?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm just following up to see if the problem was solved, please let me know if you have any additiona lquestions, if not I would very much appreciate a positive rating and close this post.i