Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I replace alternator on my 1988 pickup. I had to remove

Customer Question
distributor to get to alterNatori...
I replace alternator on my 1988 pickup. I had to remove distributor to get to alterNatori. Everythinos back but now Truck won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: I am moving distributor to find distributor right timing but no luck yes it turns over but does not catch.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced cap and rotor plus wires needed that anyway but I think it's a timing issue
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm pretty sure I have the wires correct but outside of that no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/19/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Is this a 4 cylinder or V6? did it run before you removed the distributor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it ran but the battery was not charging so I replaced the alternator but hat to remove the distributor assembly to get it out.. input distributor back but it just turns over will not start

Ok, here is a way to get the distributor to the #1 cylinder;

Remove the #1 spark plug

rotate the engine until the crank pulley is at the zero mark, look inside the spark plug hole and make sure te piston is up, if not rotate again until it s

The engine is now on #1 top dead center

make a mark on the distributor housing where the #1 plug wire is on the cap

Remove the distributor cap

The rotor should line up with the mark you made on the housing.

If not pull it out and insert it back after rotating the gear until it's all the way down and the rotor lines up

The firing order is 1,2,4,3

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I don't have socket for spark plug but can I pull back out distributor and line it up with #1?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Line up the rotor with #1 I mean

Yes, you can do it that way as long as the crank pulley is on the zero mark.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the line down at the bottom and there should be a mark on the lip of the crank pully to line them up correct

There should be a line on the pulley and a zero, 4 and 10 degree marks .

With the crank at zero where is the rotor pointing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turning over engine now to find the mark
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Let me know when the mark is lined up and where the distributor is pointing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just keep hitting the ignition but the mark wonthe line up it just goes past

That won't work you have to turn it slowly using a wrench on the crank pulley, easier if you take the plugs out,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok well I will have to do that another time it's dark now and my car is here at work. I will have to take the shroud and fan off to really get to it. Thank you for your help sir appreciate it!

You're welcome, hope I have shed some light on this for you>

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech