Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 4 runner w/4.7. Replaced timing belt now have…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 4...
I have a 2008 4 runner w/4.7. Replaced timing belt now have DTC P0011. Have checked OCV and have 7.4 ohms across terminals and spool does retract when 12volts applied. Your thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., master tech. replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.It determines the timing of the vvt by reading the cam and crank sensors. So if you accidentally got the belt off and advanced the cam that way it would set the code too.Double check and make sure the t-belt is dead on.Let me know if you have any questions.Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked valve timing numerous times.it is dead on. No question.
Ok well since I haven't seen one just start after doing a t belt I'll opt out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your time.
Toyota Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the vvt valve may just be dirty,,remove and clean the screen with carb cleaner..

i will give you some tests/checks for this code..also,again,make sure everything is in time sense it did give this code after replacing the belt

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhdg0db7owc4l2o/0714-4runner-2UZ.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/lhdg0db7owc4l2o/0714-4runner-2UZ.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive cleaned and tested the ocv. The timing belt is correct. Thats what throws me we've triple-checked this over and over.

ok..follow the tests i gave you

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I seemed to have sorted the P0011 code ( bad plug ) now I have a P0345 code, camshaft position sensor "A" circuit ( bank 2 ). Where is the sensor on bank 2? Mitchell on demand and all data do not even show a cam position sensor on bank 2
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Tim, I don't mean to be all over the place but my tech didn't have the cam sensor plugged in. Once he did P0011 and P0021 popped there ugly heads up again. I'll get back to you after testing.

ok,please do

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Tim, I've run all the tests I can but I do not have an oscilloscope. I can command the valve timing to advanced with my Snap-on scan tool which causes the engine to idle terribly.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have checked valve time and again the timing marks are dead on.
Toyota Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

New expert here.

No one has said anything about the engine oil. Have you checked the oil level and condition?
I have seen aftermarket oil filters cause these codes as well, they filter too much restricting the flow. Which sets the code.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. Please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Thanks Dan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Dan, the oil has been changed with a Wix filter. Some history on this job. Vehicle came in with bad timing belt. Vehicle very well maintained. Replaced belt, waterpump and all valves. Also replaced OCV filters on both sides. Checked OCV's with digital ohm meter then cycled both with 12 volt power. All tests pass. Vehicle is running poorly, lacks power and fuel economy poor. Have DTC's P0011 & P0021. Have checked timing marks a dozen times. No exaggeration. Used a Gates timing belt with alignment marks and arrows. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank, Kevin.

Can you see the cam phasers moving on the scan tool under live data? You will need to be driving and under some acceleration while watching the scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Dan I have not checked that as of yet I will do so tomorrow and get back to you. What should my readings be?

I can get the specs tomorrow. I am not at the shop right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand and I'm not at my shop either I will talk to you tomorrow morning thanks again. So far you've been the most knowledgeable of anyone I've spoken to.

You should be able to see the timing advance on the scan tool while driving on both banks.

I am not familiar with wix oil filters. I would put a Toyota one on. That is the easiest thing to try first.