Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I need someone with expertise in Toyota hybrid systems

Customer Question
for this one...I have a...
I need someone with expertise in Toyota hybrid systems for this one...I have a 2008 Highlander Hybrid with approximately 120,000 miles. Last year the ABS and VSC lights came on and the multifuncion display gave me a VSC error / brake error / have your system serviced message. I pulled the codes and came up with C1345 – Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone and C1391 – abnormal leak in accumulator. I verified the codes and correct procedure here on JustAnswer with a Toyota master technician. I purchased the accumulator, Toyota part number(###) ###-#### ***** Accumulator, from a Toyota dealer online. I performed the replacement procedure using Toyota Techstream, going through each step carefully and bleeding the brakes via the Techstream procedure. I could not get the linear solenoid valve error to reset using Techstream - it would go halfway through the procedure, with the brake and VSC lights blinking, but they stopped blinking at about 60 seconds and never gave the fast-blink confirmation. The C1391 code persists.I took the car to a friend's shop, where he tried to reset the error with a Snap-on scan tool. He wasn't able to get the scan tool to reset the DTCs or perform the linear offset relearn. I tried again with Techstream, starting with a blank slate (unplugged the main battery and disconnected the 12v battery), going through from the bleed down procedure to the reset, and still could not get the C1391 to reset. I finally called the local Toyota dealer. The service writer I spoke to made an appointment for the next Monday. I had the car there when they opened Monday morning. Monday afternoon I got a call telling me they weren't going to look at it until the next day. Tuesday I called them at 4:00 PM and they were just getting to my car. They told me the brakes needed to be bled and then they could reset the C1391, at a cost of $335 (yep, for bleeding brakes, which I had already done three times with Techstream). Frustrated, I said OK. I called Thursday and the service writer I was dealing with was on vacation, and no one seemed to know any answers. Friday I got someone who told me they had elevated my car to their lead hybrid technician, but he called in sick that day. Monday was a holiday, so I gave them all day Tuesday and called back Wednesday afternoon. They told me I had installed an incorrect part - that the part I installed was for a Lexus and not the Highlander. I called the dealer I bought the part from, because I had supplied them with my VIN at the time of purchase, and they confirmed the part was correct. The local dealer insisted it was the wrong part, so on Friday I took them the original part I had removed and the box the new part came in, and showed them that the part number on the factory-installed accumulator and the new accumulator were the same. They apparently weren't aware that the part number on the box and the one printed on the part don't necessarily math, but a call to Toyota technical research verified that it was the correct part.So next they said they would need to get a regional tech expert involved, which was fine. Today they called and told me the C1391 was NOT a bad accumulator, but a bad pump (another $1600). I asked the Toyota parts guy I bought the accumulator from, and he told me the pump almost never goes bad (he's sold one that he can remember). So I'm wondering, is the story I'm getting from the dealer straight? Because they really don't seem to know what they're doing, and I'm hesitant to throw another $1600 at this problem without being sure it's going to fix it. So my questions are: Did I get bad advice from the first JustAnswer expert? Will a new booster pump fix the problem? Is there something else I should try before I spend the money for a new booster pump?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/12/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely the pump is faulty here.These do fail and it may be the person you spoke with hasnt sold many themselves but these do fail and I suspect they are correct on this needing replaced.I would ask them what guarantee that this will correct the fault.This way if it does not correct the fault will they help with the costs or re diagnose and repair at a low cost or free from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician