Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I can not get any brake pedal. Not much pressure at the

Customer Question
front brakes....
I can not get any brake pedal. Not much pressure at the front brakes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/5/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Any other brake work besides the master cylinder?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Does it have ABS brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New pads and rotors on front. Two new lines down the frame. Yes it was bench bled. No abs

HI,

Ok, were they complete line replacements or did you cut out old sections and install a new section with compression fittings, or install with union fittings?

Are you getting solid fluid at the wheels or still getting air bubbles in the fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Complete line. The pedal doesn't go down when I bleed front brakes, but does on back brakes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not getting much air.

HI,

Ok, if you loosen the brake hose at the brake line connections for the front brakes, will the brake pedal go down - if you havent tried this, do this now. If it does, tighten the line and then loose the hose at the caliper and see if the brake pedal will go down. It it doesnt, then the hoses have collapsed or have trash in them. If it does, then you have narrowed it to the calipers - make sure that the caliper bleeder screws are clogged up with trash. Remove them all the way and see if the pedal goes down. If it does, replace the bleeder screws. If not then its the calipers - hardware/slides sticking, pads cocked at an angle, or caliper pistons cocked at an angle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I loosened the line at the y above the hose, no fluid out of the y.

HI,

Ok, pull the master cylinder off the booster enough to see if the pushrod is cocked and reseat in in the master and rebolt master cylinder and see if you start getting fluid out of the fronts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pedal doesn't go down either.

HI,

check that pushrod for being centered inside the rear of the master cylinder

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything in master cylinder and booster appear to be working right
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I pump pedal with line off at y, fluid squirts out, but nothing when I just hold pedal down.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to try replacing the rubber hoses. I'm not sure that is the problem since there was no pressure at the y above them. The calipers compressed easily when I changed the front brakes. So I don't think that's it.

HI,

Sorry, lost internet due to storm.

When you say Y, are you referring to the proportioning valve?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idk. It's where the lines branch off and some go toward the rear, some go to the front.
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced both front brake hoses last night and got brakes to the passenger side. Passenger side hose was completely clogged. I replaced driver side caliper today, and now have brakes all the way around. I still don't think the pedal is pumping up like it should, though. Any suggestions?

Can you look at the caliper bleeder screws in relation to the brake hose banjo bolts and see if the bleeders are above or below them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bleeders are above

Have you driven it to see if the brakes actually feel poor now? I've seen many cases where someone thought a pedal was soft while sitting on a hoist but it was actually normal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah. They will lock up on black top. They just feel spongy, you can push them to the floor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My neighbor also has a tacoma, and he said they don't feel like his.

What was the original problem and the original repair?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just bought the truck. It had two brake lines rusted into, and I thought that was why I had no pedal.

Where did the master cylinder come from?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician