Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Washed my 1993 land cruisers engine and now I have

Customer Question
acceleration problems. What to do?...
washed my 1993 land cruisers engine and now I have acceleration problems. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
7/3/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

its very likely that you have gotten water into the back of one of the engine sensors

so I'd remove each connector in turn and use some compressed air ,( or a foot pump) to blast air into each and remove any trace of water - using some switch or contact cleaner will also help clean things up

if this doesn't help then I'd start by checking for a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about water in the Cap & Rotor?

Yes

thats also a good idea

remove that and check inside

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a water issue. Thank you. I could have saved $22. But thank you anyway.

glad you got it sorted

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer