Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

AC is stuck on the defrost/floor zone. Temperature controls

Customer Question
and fan speed work, but...
AC is stuck on the defrost/floor zone. Temperature controls and fan speed work, but wont switch zones on my 2013 TUndra
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: Is that a joke question, and what do they have ot do with my issue
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I want ot fix tis myseld
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The coolant level is fine, and it has 48k miles.
6/28/2016
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im Dave and your Tundras problem is in the defrost / vent / floor mixing box. Nothing to do with the cooling (A/C) or the heater core. Its all driven by one electric motor and depends on which gear or damper door broke. I'll try and make it easy? Under the radio and behind the middle hump blank off panel on the floor is the mixing box. There's 4 dampers, 1 motor and a **** load of plastic gears.

4 dampers = defrost - vent - front floor - rear floor
1 motor up above the gas pedal.
1 plastic duct feeding passenger seat
1 plastic duct feeding drivers seat
2 plastic ducts feeding rear floor heat
Can't see the ducts for the vent or defrost.
Best way is to run the truck, put the fan on low, switch from defrost to heat and listen to any noise that may happen. I had to have my employee on the passenger seat while I was under the dash listening and watching.

do you still need help with this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was wondering if you have removal and install information

give me a few and i'll get back to you.

Not for the faint of heart or technically/mechanically challenged. the whole dash has to come off, steering column also to get to the airbox to access the actuators. this is for a 2007 but is the same for your year.

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic