C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

I just changed the engine in my 2008 tundra to a 2014 tundra

Customer Question

hey,
i just changed the engine in my 2008 tundra to a 2014 tundra 5.7, its jerking real bad and the check engine light flashes, once i shut it off an idle its fine up until i drive it. What do you think is the problem, and what's the fix?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

what are the codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p0300
Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

thats a multi cylinder missfire...how are the plugs and coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just changed those too
Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

hmm not sure ill open t up to other experts maybe someone has a idea

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i do now? wait for someone else to answer?
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, this is what I would like you to do for me. Check the fuel pressure make sure its 38-44 PSI at idle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is we checked it

Also could be a bad mass airflow sensor or even being dirty sometimes causing this condition. If the fuel pressure checks out we need to verify all of the cylinders are getting good spark and fuel injectors are working correctly you can use a test light on the injectors with a buddy turning the engine over they will flash or when it is running just back probe them while it is running and check and make sure all our running a nice on and off light. If that shows good and spark is equal on each cylinder than we need to go ahead and check the compression make sure it is all within 5 psi of the highest reading. If compression is good do a leak down test as it is possibly a timing issue. If all of that is good could have a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. If you swapped the engine and are using the sensors from that motor than they need to be programmed to the ECM you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying the engine may need to be reprogrammed to my ecm?

Yes that is correct. The camshaft and crankshaft position sensors must be synchronized to your ecm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to go to a toyota dealer to get this done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be that i need to get a new computer for that yaer motor, or the wire harness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;Year Motor"

Oh I just noticed you installed a 2008 in a 2014 give me a moment to verify the different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i installed a 2014 in a 2008

Okay, I just confirmed this will work but you will need to run down to the dealership so they can program the engine and ecm together it will take care of the problem. They also need to do the crank and cam sensor synchronization. The engines are the same but you still have to match the engine to the ecm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok guess i'll have to give that a shot and see if it works, So you"re saying i don't need a new computer or wire Harness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank's i'll have to go down there tomorrow and see if that will work. I'll be back here to update. Thanks

For some reason I was unable to reply last night. Seems to be fixed now. Keep me posted. Thanks. Charlie