Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

When the engine is warm the oil pressure drops to near zero

Customer Question
when RPMs get over about...
When the engine is warm the oil pressure drops to near zero when RPMs get over about 2500. I push in the clutch, the RPMs drop and the needle goes back up to normal
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on? What is the model of your '500 Toyota?
Customer: 1991 Toyota 4x4 pickup, V6 oil pump is probably 80 - 100,000 miles Check light has never come on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oil changes, different viscosity oil. Looking for ideas on what may be causing it. May do it myself, may get a mechanic involved depending on the work involved
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've owned the truck since new. This started about 10.000 miles ago and I've done the clutch dance since them. Nobody I've talked with can give me a starting point to see what is wrong.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this pressure read with an actual engine oil pressure test gauge attached to the engine?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is using the factory gauge in the dash

O.k.,I would have an actual engine oil pressure test done with a test gauge to see if this is an actual engine oil pressure issue.If your engine is not making any knocking or clunking noises with this fault here when the pressure hits 0 or near 0 then most likely this isnt a mechanical fault.

Most common to cause this issue here is a fault with the engine oil pressure sensor itself needing replaced.I have had to replace this sensor several times before in the past for this exact issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician