K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have an 86 4x4 toyota pickup with a 22re engine. Engine

Customer Question

Hello. I have an 86 4x4 toyota pickup with a 22re engine. Engine has just been rebuilt. Have fuel pressure and I am getting fuel to the cylinders, can smelling when I turn it over to check for spark. Which gets me to the point I am not getting 12 volts to the coil and hence no spark. I can't figure out why, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hi James, power to the coil comes directly from the ignition switch. You will want to test the wire at the switch first to make sure it's functioning properly. If it is check the wire for continuity, there may be a break or short. I'll post the wiring diagram below for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will see what I can find out and let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, talk with you then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have 12v to the coil but still no spark. I have also checked the connections to the injectors, the two that I could get off, and they both have 12v at one wire. I'm going to assume the other two do as well. The primary resistance on the coil was .7 ohms and the secondary was at 13.500 ohms. Not sure where to go next.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is within spec of .5-.7 on primary side and 11.4-15.6K ohms on secondary.

Next thing to check is going to be the pick up coil and ignitor. I've got some revised specs for the pick up coil Toyota published that will be below as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will check this out. In the middle of moving so I may not get to it until later tonight or tomorrow morning. I will let you know what I find. Thanks.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll be around all weekend.