Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My key turns to the start position but will not start the

Customer Question

My key turns to the start position but will not start the car. Nothing on the dash illuminates. I just hear the door open ping
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: In park. Not familiar with a wheel lock feature
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2001 Toyota Avalon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the ignition switch and the same thing happens. Turns all the way to start position but nothing else
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just started yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid you to wait on some one to eventually call me back? Why wasn't this explained before you ask for payment?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Sorry it has been so long to get a response. I am currently not available for a live phone call. If you'd like, we can work through chat, or I can leave the question open for another expert who may be able to get on a live phone call with you.

Haver you tried to jump start the vehicle? Were there any other repairs or issues that led up to this concern? Any recent work done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It it the ignition or something associated with the ignition. The key just turn to the start position
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

I'll do my best to help you, but I need some information on the vehicle. Could you answer the questions I posted above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried to jump the car. I had just driven the car 30 mins prior. No problems up to that point. No recent work
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

My first recommendation is to try to jump start the vehicle. If that fails, we can run some tests. Do you have access to a digital volt meter or a 12 volt test light?