Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner with a V6. It has about

Customer Question
Hey, I have a 2001...
Hey, I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner with a V6. It has about 87K.
I maintain it very well and just had the dealer change the oil, brake and power steering fluids.
The Check Engine light has just started to light solid. What are the possible issues?
Thanks, Randy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/19/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

there are quite a few malfunctions of the engine control or emission control system that can cause the check light to turn on, in most cases emission related and may not affect drivability to a noticeable degree, so if it's running normally it's most likely an emission control related issue, if you recently got fuel make sure the fuel cap is on tight, Check under the hood for any vacuum hoses that may have been disconnected from the air filter or the evap canister.

Other than that I would need some diagnostic code information, trouble codes that are stored in the computer, most autoparts stores like autozone, O Reilly etc can help you get the code numbers and they do this at no charge in most states (not California). then you can just reply back here to me with the code information and I'll continue to assist further.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician