Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 Scion tC... and am dealing with the oil

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Scion tC... and am dealing with the oil consumption problem (about 1 qt every 450 miles) and the dealer is months away from getting parts (I'm number 13 inline). They will not know what parts they need until they open up my engine.
My first question is: Is there anyway to reduce the oil consumption in the interim? I am using 5W-30 (high mileage oil) rather than to 5W-20 Toyota calls for.
Second Q: Using different oil or an additive to reduce consumption (if there is one), will this void the engine rebuild when my time comes?
Thanks,
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. More often than nto, the dealer will be replacing the pistons and piston rings to effect this repair. In the interin, an additive like LUCAS ENGINE OIL ADDITIVE will lessen the oil consumption. What you have happening here is most likely carbon buildup on the oil control piston rings. When this happens, the lubrication oil on the cylinder walls is not scraped down (as the piston descends the cylinder, by the oil control rings), which allows the lubricant oil to be consumed in the combustion chamber. The burned oil is then expelled out the tailpipe. 1/2 of a quart of the Lucas Engine Oil Additive in conjunction with 10W-30 motor oil will be your best bet to reduce oil consumption until the dealer is ready to rectify your engine issue.

As long as you do not run the engine out of oil, you will not void the warranty.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer