Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Sunroof won't open, 2008 ghlander hybrid limited, No wont

Customer Question
Sunroof won't open JA: What is...
Sunroof won't open
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 highlander hybrid limited
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No wont likely fix it myself. Just trying to figure out what problem might be
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Had the sunroof replaced about 5 years ago, after a rock hit the sunroom and shattered it. I was driving through mountainous area in northern Canada and sunroof
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be going on.

If there is no response whatsoever then the problem is most likely electrical, whether it's the motor itself, the module that controls it, the switch, wiring, or a blown fuse.

If it does attempt to move and/or you hear noise from the motor then the problem is mechanical. It could possibly be a weak motor but it could also be something foreign in the guides preventing it from moving, it could be a guide or cable issue. If the problem is mechanical then it will require disassembly of the sunroof components to some degree, possibly removal of the assembly, to diagnose the issue.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician