Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We disconnected the battery to replace the brake light switch. Now the car will not start.

Customer Question
We disconnected the battery to...
We disconnected the battery to replace the brake light switch. Now the car will not start. Alarm goes and all the lights come on but nothing when we turn the key.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Yes it does
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1997 corolla dx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we tried the key in the on position and reconnecting the battery still nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the brake lights still stay on :0
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/18/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

I'll give you instructions that work on most aftermarket alarm systems, if it doesn't work we'll go from there

remove the key from the ignition

disconnect the negative battery cable

put the key in and turn to ON, leave door open

Re connect the battery, if the alarm stays off it should start, let me know how that worked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alarm stayed on and it did not start. Should I try with door closed?

Yes, try that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am disabled and my money is short. I will try to find a neighbor to help me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a nice day

Ok, is there a red light mounted along the bottom of the dash at the left and is it blinking?

Is there a small toggle switch on the left kick panel?

I fhter is a switch flip it over to the other position.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician