Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I bought a 1998 Toyota 4Runner a couple days ago, and

Customer Question
haven't been able to get...
I bought a 1998 Toyota 4Runner a couple days ago, and haven't been able to get the stereo/CD player to work.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The clock doesn't work, either.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/17/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

The clock and the radio are usually on the same fuse, have you checked the fuses on the inside fuse panel?

The should be one marked radio.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't yet. I'll run down and do that in a minute

Also check the 15A acc fuse and the dome fuse, it's best to use a voltmeter or testlight to see if power is getting through the fuse. the key has to be on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it makes any difference, the cigarette lighter does work.

Ok, check the ACC fuse and the dome fuse, I think the cig lighter/power outlet is on a different fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
15a acc fuse is good

Can you tell if power is getting to it, do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I might. Gimme a minute
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It would appear I do not. I'll have to go get one

Ok, the 20A rad#1 fuse feeds power directly to the radio with key on, it may be in the box under the hood, I have a diagram so let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There isn't a Rad#1 fuse

Ok, let me see if I can locate a fuse diagram and get back to you/

Is it just a factory steero, no navigation system?

The fuse diagram I'm looking at shows a 15A radio fuse in the inside fuse panel

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The inside panel has the following (I'll attempt to lay them out in the correct grid):Power
30A
4WD 20A ECU-IG 10A
ACC 15A TURN 10A WIPER 20A
ECU-B 7.5A GAUGE 10A IGN 7.5AThere isn't a radio fuse. The ACC fuse is intact.

Let me send you a diagram, there should be a lot more fuses than that on that fuse panel, be right back

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you could show a picture of where I should be looking for the panel (inside the vehicle), that'd be helpful, too.

Just click on the highlighted link

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did. Whereabouts in the cab is this panel?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I noticed the Dome fuse highlighted. Dome light works, right now.

Left lower side of the dash behind a plastic cover, left of the steering wheel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only fuse panel on the inside is the one I mentioned. There's another one under the hood, but I didn't find anything pertinent there.

Ok, I don't know how to proceed here so I'm going to opt out and another expert will se my opt out and hopefully can take over where we left off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
However, I'm at work at the moment. Can we continue this when I get home?

Yes, that would be fine.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician