Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Does it matter if you buy a japanese Camry verses USA Camry?

Customer Question

Does it matter if you buy a japanese Camry verses USA Camry? Do they have the oil consumption issues? Do they have acceleration and airbag issues? Would you buy one? Did they redesign the 2014-2016 engines so these issues won't continue? How can you tell on the vin which cars have these issues? I am thinking of possibly getting a Camry XL or XLE from 2014-2016. (no V6 engine). How can you tell on a used vehicle that the issues are with this car before buying?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with all these questions. Let me take them one by one..

Toyota does not import the Japanese made Camry anymore. It hasn't done that since 2011

Do they have the oil consumption issues?

The last years of the Camry that had oil consumption issues were the 2009 Camry and the 2011 Camry Hybrid.

Do they have acceleration and airbag issues?

No and Toyota doesn't use Takata airbags as of 2015.

Would you buy one?

No, I don't like them as I prefer a SUV but that's not what you meant. :)

If I were in the market then yes, I would not hesitate to buy a Camry but it would be the V6 as I like POWER!!!

Did they redesign the 2014-2016 engines so these issues won't continue?

The Camry was redesigned starting in 2012 and the new 2AR Engine came with it. The last 2AZ engine was used in the Camry is 2011.

How can you tell on the vin which cars have these issues?

See answers above.

I am thinking of possibly getting a Camry XL or XLE from 2014-2016. (no V6 engine). How can you tell on a used vehicle that the issues are with this car before buying? I think that we covered these questions above but please ask more of me in case I missed something. I am here to provide you with Excellent Service and strive to do so. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.