Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

2013 Tacoma crew cab with upgraded sound system. The truck

Customer Question

2013 Tacoma crew cab with upgraded sound system. The truck came with a sub behind the back seat and also has an amp back there.
the amp doesn't seem to be working, is there an internal fuse that needs to be replaced.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Is this a factory Toyota amplifier? Are ANY of the speakers working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is from the factory but the higher end sound system. the only speakers working are the tweeters on the 2 front doors by the windows.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

NONE of the door speakers are working??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None, only the tweeters work so all we hear out of the radio is the song from the tweeters that is very hight and soft.. The amp is behind the back seat on the passengers side.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be so long in responding, I seem to be having some network issues. I'm trying to get the wiring diagram for your vehicle sound system pulled back up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's fine, also it's the JBL upgraded package.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

In the underhood fuse box, there is a 30 amp fuse marked radio No. 2. Check this fuse for power using a test light or a digital voltmeter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked it and the fuse wa ok, i also checked radio 1 fuse. used an ohm meter.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Did you check both sides of those fuse for power using the meter? That's what we need to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if your talking about the fuse itself then the answer is yes, or are you asking if i'm getting power to the fuse?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Without removing the fuse, check for power at the small test points on top of fuse. Check both sides. In almost no cases is testing resistance a good practice on automotive wiring. Results can be VERY misleading, which is why we always check for power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, with acc on or off. sorry took so long having dinner
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'll be on/off this evening as well. Turn ignition on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked fuse with power on and it checked fine.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Will need to check the power wire at the amplifier. Do you have access to any straight pins, or even safety pins will work. Do you know how to backprobe a connector for electrical testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me the definition of "backprobe"
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Basically, its using a pin of some sort to create an exterior test point at the connector while keeping it plugged in. See this youtube video.

https://youtu.be/-8qMyyH0Mb4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it, what color wire do i check?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

This connector is S31 and has 2 power inputs to it. They are the white wires with blue stripes in pins 1 and 5. There are more to check in other connectors. I will send them in following messages.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

This one is connector S23 and has one power input. It is the gray wire at pin 12.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

The last one is connector S24 ad has 3 ground wires in it. They are in pins 6 and 7 on brown wires.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

If all those power and grounds check out OK, it looks like an amplifier will need to be replaced.