Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

THE ALT 120 A : CHARGING SYSTEM IN MY TOYOTA AVALON, THERE

Customer Question
i AM REPLACING THE ALT...
i AM REPLACING THE ALT 120 A : CHARGING SYSTEM IN MY TOYOTA AVALON, THERE IS THREE BOLTS I HAD TO TAKE OFF A WHITE ONE THAT WENT ON THE FRONT OF THE CASING, AND TWO IN THE BACK, BOTH BLACK ONE WITH WHITE WRITING ON IT AND THE OTHER JUST BLACK, WHICH BLACK WIRE BOLTS TO THE FUSE STEM? THE ONE WITH WRITING WHICH I AM ASSUMING IS POSSITIVE OR THE PLAIN BLACK ONE?
JA: Have you found the car's fuse panel? Do you know what fuse number you need?
Customer: YES I HAVE THE FUSE Already in the casing and am trying to reconnect
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am fixing this myself
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: just not sure which wire on the back of the casing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/12/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

What year is the Avalon?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
99

I'm going to check a wiring diagram and get back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on the diagram it is fuse #45, there was 3 thick wires bolted to the casing, I got the two black ones mixed up on the back of the casing and don't want to screw it up, the fuse actually goes down on the back right side

You are replacing th 120 amp alternator fuse is this correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but I had to unbolt the casing to get the fuse out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 bolts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
front bolt was attached to a white wire

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am replacing a 120 a amp fuse

Ok, be back in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 bolt goes to the front of the fuse casing, it is white and is in direct contact with one side of the fuse

Is that wire white?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 bolts go on the back of the fuse casing, I want to know which goes directly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the front wire is white
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is two wires that go on the back of the fuse casing

The white wire is the hot wire from the fuse box, the other three black wires go to the other terminals at the other end of the fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is two black wires that where connected to the fuse casing and the white one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
white in the front
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the two black ones in the back which of the black wires goes directly on the fuse (like the white one does) is it the plain black one or the black one with white writing

The white wire is the hot wire from the fuse box/battery, the BLACK WIRES connect to the other end of the fuse, these go back to the fuse box to the smaller fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no all three of these wires go on the one fuse

I'm going to have to opt out and see if someone else can be of more help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its the fusable link block
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I believe you misunderstood the first expert's post. He was stating that the black wires went from the 120 amp fuse back into the fuse box and then powered other fuses. The white wire is the supply to the 120a fuse, the black wires all go together on the output side of the 120a fuse.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician