Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1998 camry automatic. the shifter moves freely and does not engage any gear. Original transmission.

Customer Question
1998 camry automatic. the...
1998 camry automatic. the shifter moves freely and does not engage any gear.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: original transmission. where is the brake switch?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the car is in a parking lot. we first tried to see if the transmission override switch might help. but we pressed the button down and it had no effect
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's all the info for now, the shifter just moves without engaging any gear
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/11/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Does the shifter also move in and out of park position without pressing on the brake pedal?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician