Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Local non-Toyota service shop said need to replace VSC

Customer Question

local non-Toyota service shop said need to replace VSC pressure sensor for 2004 Toyota Seqouia 4x4 4.7 v-8 .... didn't give me the error code though. He said take to a dealer. My experience is the dealer overcharges for such repairs so looking for remanufactured parts online.
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 125000 mi but didn't get the codes. recently they replaced
power booster and solenoid for the evap cannister.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No just need to identify the correct part(s) number
(s)
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: had this problem x4 time
since I owned the car purchased new in 2004
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

​Are you sure it was a vsc? it stands for vehicle stability control. Was it the vapor canister pressure sensor or vsv valve?

Let me know and I will continue to help.

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was solenoid for the purge valve I purchased online they installed it along with the power booster. the 2 VSC lights on the dash are VSC off and VSC trac - did not come on until 30 days after the other parts were installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that these models have a history of problems with the parts wonder if Toyota has updated information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sonny are you still here?
Sorry my internet is acting up.
Give me one min
Ok I'm going to opt out my internet keeps dropping
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm going to attempt to help with this, however, the first thing I need in order to verify what is actually

required are the actual diagnostic trouble codes, would it be possible to call the repair shop and get the codes from them?

If not a local auto parts store like autozone may be able to get them for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have the codes now. I will get them tomorrow is that ok?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just reply here again, thanks.