Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2007 Tundra w/5.7 liter engine. Took to have it

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Tundra w/5.7 liter engine. Took to have it washed and when I went to pick it up the starter would not engage. It only spins. I had battery load tested and it tested good. Any suggestions.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: there are 178k miles and no the engine will not turn over because the starter does not engage. When you try to start it you can her the starter spin but not engage the flywheel.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if it is not something major....
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just checked the battery. Jacked the truck up, located the starter under the heat shield, got underneath and listened.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: yes, this has been a carefree truck since I bought it new. Don't if the carwash has anything to do with it or not but it was starting just fine until then.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you state that the starter just spins, do you mean the starter makes noise (like operating), but the engine does not crank? Please advise.