Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My Toyota tundra was running great and first time it shuts

Customer Question
my Toyota tundra was running...
my Toyota tundra was running great and for the first time it shuts off on the highway . stop and checked it , turn the key on starts for 4 seconds and shuts keeping key on try again not start, cranking but no start . check all the ignition and fuel system working , even exchanged the pcm with the same unit same year 2003 3.4 liter engine same deal no start or it starts for three seconds then shuts off.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/10/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Are you getting any diagnostic codes at all? Have you tried putting some fuel directly into the intake to see if it will stay running longer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
p0351 ignition coil A primary and secondary circuit malfunction
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we did spayed some into the intake and same conditions shuts off after 3 seconds , took out the plugs they were wet so it is dumping fuel in the cylinders but not staying running
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ted are you still there

Thanks, ***** ***** failure shouldn't cause a complete shut down of the engine it should still run but with a misfire, have you tried replacing the coil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have replace all three coils with new once and not a change

It sounds like it's a loss of spark, are you getting 12 volts to one of the wires on each coil with the key on?

Pull one of the spark plug connectors and see if there is spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the igniter on the left side of the fender would that has relation ship to quick shut down duto the timing of the firing would be off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are getting 12 volts on the wires when key on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked all the plugs indivually all have sparks

After it runs for a few seconds how long does it take to start up again?

Is there an aftermarket installed theft deterrent system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if you turn the key to off and turn it back on then starts it starts immediatlely , but if the key was on on position then try to start , it will not start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the time of running 3 -5 seconds

It almost sounds like it's an engine immobilizer system fault, does it have the factory engine immobilizer system of is there an aftermarket theft deterrent system installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this truck has no immobilizer system normal key the same key I have used for the last 2 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in 2003 those units didn't have the security system at least I can see that didn't

Ok, let's try this:

Put a voltmenter on the power supply wire of the #1 coil, start the engine then after it stops running leave the key on, does it still have voltage at the coil then?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does

Ok, don't really know where to go here with this, you have fuel pressure and it sounds like fuel is getting in to the combustion chambers, it seems to have spark, and you say the timing belt is ok and timed correctly, if the engine has all of these then there are only two things left, it's not getting any air or it lacks enough compression to initiate combustion.

Let me ask you this, before it stopped running on the highway were there any signs that something was about to happen, misfire, loss of power any noise? Or did it just stop like you turned the key off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was running great it was a sudden shut down , at the time we took it and check the fuel filter it was clogged then we replaced it then tried to run no go it starts for 5 seconds then shut off . same condition before we changed the fuel filter

Did you get fuel at a station just before this happened?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have had few occations in the past where some hesitation was taking place and we replaced the fuel filter then it worked just great . so we decided to change it this time as well just in case that was the problem
two days prior to that I have filled half a tank and did nt have any issues

It sounds like it's losing spark after a few seconds, can you verify this by pulling on of the plug wire connectors and as before leave the key on and crank it and see if spark is lost, you can an old spark plug or put a screwdriver in the end and hold it about 1/4" away from ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have done that many times and yes we have maintained a spark all the time after it shut down while we kept cranking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does that igniter on the left fender has any means of shutting down like a transistor while it starts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
right fender from the driver seat

I'm trying to understand then why it won't keep running if you put fuel directly in the intake.

I didn't realize it has a separate igniter, the coil packs should have the igniter modules built in. Not sure what that is can you attach a photo of it here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I talk to you tomorrow iam getting busy with other things now . is it possible to talk to you tomorrow if not I will continue and will send you pictures of the igniter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I have 12 volts on one of the wires of the ignition coil what is the voltage that I am suppose to have on the other wire

Yes we can continue when you are ready, I will check a diagram for the other wires, I know one of them is ground (maybe a problem there) and one is a feedback signal to the computer and the other a trigger signal from the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would you please get me some wiring digrams to the ground and signal so we can be clear in checking that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok send me those wiring digrams please.

Ok, it will take a bit of time.

83b5d32a-659b-45b0-8844-ff7e7627ad84_97 4Runner-ECU.pdf

please click on the highlighted link

I stand corrected it does have a separate igniter module and that is where the problem could be.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech