john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

I own a prius 2011. The check hybrid system message came

Customer Question

I own a prius 2011. The check hybrid system message came out. The d.t.c code was p0A80. I had check each cell on my battery. It was working on 7.6-7.8. The charging system was wired. After seting, it turn to normal but only last for 2-3days and the message will be back.
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: My car model is zvw30r and the engine modal is 2zr. I read the code by using a technician tools.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes..because i send the toyota dealer in malaysia, they cannot give me a good solution. Only ask me to change the wholde battery pack. It was costing.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I check the wiring system, feuses and test the voltage for each single cell. All in good condition.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No...i am technical background and i feel dissapointed with the information and solution that they gave me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

DTC P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

This is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a fault in the Hybrid Battery Pack. Most commonly, the battery has failed and will need to be replaced. You should have this done by a professional, as the hybrid system is extremely high voltage, and without proper knowledge of the system- injury can occur

Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

HYBRID / BATTERY CONTROL: HYBRID BATTERY SYSTEM: P0A80-123: Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
P0A80-123 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

DESCRIPTION

• The HV battery uses nickel metal-hydride batteries and does not require external charging. The power management control ECU controls the SOC (state of charge) of the HV battery at a constant level during driving. The HV battery is composed of 28 modules, and each module consists of eight 1.2 V cells in series. The battery smart unit monitors battery block voltage at 14 locations. Each battery block is composed of 2 modules in a set.

HINT

-P0A80-123 will not be set unless the vehicle is driven for approximately 10 minutes after clearing the DTC.

MONITOR DESCRIPTION

The battery smart unit, which monitors the voltage of the battery blocks, determines that malfunction has occurred if a voltage difference between the battery blocks exceeds the standard. When the malfunction detection condition is satisfied, the power management control ECU (HV CPU) will illuminates the MIL and set a DTC.

MONITOR STRATEGY

TYPICAL ENABLING CONDITIONS

TYPICAL MALFUNCTION THRESHOLDS

COMPONENT OPERATING RANGE

CONFIRMATION DRIVING PATTERN

1. Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
  2. Turn the power switch on (IG) and turn the Techstream on.
  3. Clear the DTCs (even if no DTCs are stored, perform the clear DTC procedure).
  4. Turn the power switch off.
  5. Turn the power switch on (READY) and turn the Techstream on.
  6. Perform a universal trip.
  7. With the select lever in N, leave the vehicle until SOC drops to 30%.

HINT
Although DTC P3000 (INF 388) may be stored if the SOC drops to 20% or lower, this is not a malfunction.

1. Enter the following menus: Powertrain / Hybrid Control / Trouble Codes.
  2. Check that permanent DTCs are cleared.

HINT

-If the permanent DTC is not cleared, repeat steps 6 and 7.

-If a permanent DTC is output, the system is malfunctioning.

-If no permanent DTC is output, the system is normal.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

PROCEDURE

1. CHECK DTC OUTPUT (DTC P0AFC-123 IS OUTPUT) See: P0A7F

B -- GO TO DTC CHART
A -- Continue to next step.

1. CHECK BATTERY SMART UNIT See: P0A7F

B -- REPLACE HV BATTERY ASSEMBLY See: Hybrid Drive Systems\Battery System, Hybrid Drive\Battery, Hybrid Drive\Service and Repair\Components

A -- REPLACE BATTERY SMART UNIT See: Hybrid Drive Systems\Battery System, Hybrid Drive\Battery Condition Monitor\Service and Repair\Components

Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

but even with all that information you issue is still likely a bad battery and if that's the case you have to replace it no matter how costly it may be . I hope you are happy with my service . Please rate me 5 stars so I can get paid and best of luck with your battery. Have a great day!!!

Expert:  john replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you