Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

Overdrive doesn't work when I push button on

Customer Question

overdrive doesn't work when I push button on shifter...no light or nothing comes on showing that button has been pushed...how do I fix this please?...'85 Toyota 4x4 automatic transmission
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. What model Toyota do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure...1985 Toyota 4x4 with a 22REC and automatic transmission is all I know
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Is it a pickup or 4 runner maybe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, sorry...pick up truck :-/
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
I took a guess and looked up what I could find for the pickup. So, I have some information action to go on. Do you have a digital voltmeter meter to do some testing? What we will need to do is remove the covers around the shifter to access the connector for the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a digital meter
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
The OD switch is a simple switch. It's just on/off. If you use your meter, checking across the 2 wires for continuity, one position will be open, other will be low resistance(should be close to zero). Most often, the switch is the issue. Check that switch and let me know if it checks out ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are steps for removing the covers around the shifter to access connector for the OD switch please...thank you
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

I'll have to see what pictures/diagrams I can find. With a vehicle of this age, visual resources can be a little difficult to find. I will be checking and get back with you as to what information I can get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you've been unable to find anything, or you forgot to look.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

I was not able to find anything. Not even a paper manual. Could you upload a picture of the area around the shifter? With that, I may be able to find something for a similar model such as a 4 runner or something.