Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

What would cause a 2008 sequoia to start and immediately

Customer Question
stall ,and not generate active...
what would cause a 2008 sequoia to start and immediately stall ,and not generate active trouble codes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/3/2016
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go.

Check for spark at the plugs when cranking it, check fuel pressure with a gauge, check compression for possible valve timing being off. This covers the bases for no starts.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the vehicle starts but stalls immediately ,it will not idle unless i spray starting fluid into the intake

Okay, then it's starving for fuel. Check the fuel pressure with a gauge to confirm. You can have a bad pump or no power to it.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I didn't have power to the pump why would it start initially

Intermittent connection causing a loss of power and possibly a sticking relay, happens ALL the time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what conditions would allow the system to receive fuel while cranking but get fuel to keep it running ?and if it were a bad
connection ,where is the most likely place to check ? I pulled the fuel pump relay out and tested it in a relay tester, it tested ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant to say not not get fuel to keep it running

Check for power to the injectors with a NOID light, maybe the security system is causing this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if the immobilizer system was malfunctioning ,wouldn't it prevent it from starting at all.and is there anything that would allow the injectors to get power at start up but prevent them from getting power to continue running

Let's go backwards a touch and acquire the data I asked you to get for me. We don't seem to be getting anywhere right now without some testing being done. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me too.

Thanks again,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry that I'm not that helpful, I am not an auto mechanic,I am a diesel tractor mechanic that has been tasked with getting this toyota to run ,I don't have a noid light, or a fuel pressure tester. what can I tell you about this vehicle that can help you to assist me ?

testing needs to be done and results from the testing. Being that you're in the repair industry, surely you understand where I'm coming from. There's no magic here, and guesswork is expensive.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what specifically do you want to know ?
Toyota Mechanic: Boxer54, Toyota Technician replied 1 year ago
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician

Hi, Im a Toyota master diagnostic technician currently working at a dealership. The previous expert has opted out of this session, so I will take over. First thing, Do you see the security light flashing on the dash when the key is OUT of the ignition?

Does it stop flashing when you put the key in the ignition? I just want to rule out the immobiliser. Were there ever ANY codes stored in the computer? Even history codes could be helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the light goes off and the only stored codes were related to camshaft positioning, timing over retarded or advanced.

Any chance you still have those code numbers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0010, P0011 ,P0012

Does this Sequoia have a 4.7l or 5.7l engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5.7 (3UR-FE)

Have you removed the intake oil control valves and checked them manually to see if they are working? They need to be checked by manually moving the spool valve to see that it is not sticking, and also electrically to see that they move when energized.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't ,I'm assuming that since you said valves that there are more than 1,that being the case , would one bad valve cause the symptom I have ? I'm only asking because I have no idea ,It is so strange that it starts every single time and sounds great but then stalls ,almost like the computer is in need of a signal that it isn't getting to continue running, how many components could cause this situation,I'm not against throwing parts at it ,does the injection system get voltage to start from one source and then require signals from elsewhere to continue running.I guess it would be much easier if I knew which components when faulty would cause it to run poorly and which would cause it to do what its doing now,for what its worth ,since it was towed here,it started and ran great once.but that was after trying 10 times before and 50 times since,

The codes point to an issue with the variable valve timing system. There are 2 valves on each bank, one for intake and one for exhaust. The ones we need to check are the intake valves. They are in the valve covers on each side. There are literally hundreds of possibilities for what we have going on here, just need to go one step at a time.

Boxer54
Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician