Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 1995 camry xle v6 that died while driving at low

Customer Question
speed. never gave a problem...
I have a 1995 camry xle v6 that died while driving at low speed. never gave a problem before. its getting spark. I have replaced the battery. I removed and tested the fuel pump and it is operating, but I don't think I'm getting voltage at the pump, I don't hear it come on when I turn the key to the on position. I'm not sure which wires to test in the harness to see if I'm getting juice to it. It seemed like the computer was preventing starting so I replaced it. same thing. crank crank crank -no start. changed the timing belt also. same thing. also the transmission fluid is way over full-would that cause this probem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/1/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Amedee, Toyota Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have? Does the engine have spark when cranking? If so, does it run on starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has spark while cranking. No it does not start with fluid
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuses and relays are all good. The engine is a v 3.0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only thing I notice out of order is the inner lights on the trunk are both out but the bulbs are fine.

Sorry for the delay!

And thank you for that information

If the engine does in fact have spark but it does not run using starting fluid, either the engine is flooded or out of time. It could be ignition or valve timing (out of time)

Let me explain. If the valve timing and ignition timing is right on the money, the only thing the engine needs is fuel and it should fire right up. However, based on what your telling me, that is not the case with your engine.. which tells me the timing is off (or out of time). Does that make sense?

Since the ignition system runs off of the valve timing, the valve timing needs to be checked and verified as good first before moving onto the ignition timing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Makes sense. If it is out I would suspect that would have been remedied when the timing belt was changed? Why would it just die while driving?

Could be lots of reasons. Have you checked engine compression? If not, this is your next step.

YES, there still could be a mechanical issue with the engine provided the valve timing or timing marks line up properly. In addition, the valve timing could still be incorrect if the timing marks line up properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would a set of wires being switched on a coil pack ( this engine has one on each cylinder) a connector was broken and someone installed them in reverse, the power from the icm and the computer wire reversed. Would this cause a problem like this?

We first need to rule out a base engine mechanical problem and go from there. Once we know that is good, then we get into the electronics of the ignition system.

To answer your questions, YES it can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check compression tomorrow

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great day!!

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician