Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2008 toyota sienna the car runs great when it runs but but

Customer Question
it spontaneously will not start...
2008 toyota sienna the car runs great when it runs but but it spontaneously will not start in the morning and it has turned off when driving a few times and the cooling fans stay running and will not turn off. i replaced the ecm and the abs module and the battery. upon replacing the items the car started and ran fine but the problem returned and my guess is that it just happen to start by chance after i did the repair but that it starting had nothing to do with the repair if that makes sense. one other thing that happens when the car does not start is that a code reader gets no signal through the obdii plug. and there is never any engine code before or after the problem occurs.i took the van top the local toyota dealership and they had they van for 3 days and charged me $400 and they reported cleaning 2 ground contacts as well as reattaching a loose wire in a connector. i picked up the van from toyota and the very next morning the van did not start. so far i haven't read or found anyone that can help with this issue hopefully you have some incite. by the way the window and brake lights work when the problem occurs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
6/1/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Sorry about the long delay, do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need help if you have an answer to my problem I greatly appreciate it. If you do not have an answer and you are able to refer my question to somebody that does please do that

So when this occurs it will crank, just not start?

When this occurs with the key on is the security light off and the odometer reading the miles?

Will you be able to do some electrical diag yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) No the car doesnt crank2) My daughter is unsure about light but it is possible that see seen it not 100% on that3) Not sure about miles showing either4) car is in the shop at this time but i can do or suggest they do what you recommend

When it will not crank nor start does the instrument cluster light up like it should?

When it will not crank do you at least hear clicking noises?

I assume the shop where it is now, has no clue what is wrong?

Without being able to test through you, my diag would be more generic.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bro you never gave me any answer and you took my money... whats up with that. I would like either a refund or an answer that fixes my problem sir.

I have nothing all to do with the fees or refunds. You were charged June 1st by the website, which I do not work for. I have been waiting since the 1st for you to respond with more details. I responded 7 minutes after you did. If you can respond to those questions I can then post an answer.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have given you all the details i have and you have not given me any answers what so ever

Okay I will do the best I can with the info given to me.

I believe the focus needs to be on the ignition switch and the anti theft system. Both can cause a no crank scenario and both can be intermittent.

I wish you could do some diag so I could help you work through some tests to find out what is working and what is not to narrow this down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have selected a rating at the top of your page view for my first answer to grade my assistance. All follow up responses are free and welcomed. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have talked several times and you have not offered anything in the way of an answer or suggestion. The van is in the shop. If i give you the shops name and number will you call them and run through your checks with them? Otherwise what can we do? You could possibly recommend i receive a refund
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I was there with the van I could but I am at work bro and it is a cross town. I can give you Cesar's number and you can have him run through the diagnostics with you?

We are not allowed to work through the website 3rd party to another company. We are only allowed to help the owner of this account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will go so i will go over there later today and when i am there i will call you so you can tell me what to do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if this will work for you

I can only communicate through here, I jumped in the pool last week with my phone and its ruined. Though you can do the phone request option you see on your page view and any expert here can accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i would have to pay again?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says its $26 to call an expert... i have already paid like 30 and havent even got anything for it... so tell me what i should do

You are correct if you want to convert from chat to phone there is an additional fee for that.

Prior I asked :

You said:

I then posted the best answer I could with the info you gave me:

I am sorry this is not working out from you, but it is not easy from this end either trying to diagnose a vehicle that is not at home with you and when the customer does not work on cars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i gave you what i know and i amswered your questions and you told me what you think. I have always had far better outcomes than that on this site and that why i am complaining. Then you are asking me to call you but you dont have a phone which tgen requires me to spend more money. Do you see me point sir.
I mean you could write out or outline the diagnostics that you would have me do and at least it looks like you are attemlting to give me something to go on and then i can try it and get back to you. Does that sound doable sir?

You wrote:

I did not ask for you to call or convert to a call. I was just responding based on you asking to call me. I am more than happy and willing to continue here typing. Sorry I was not aware you wanted diag steps, I figured they would be useless since your not doing the diag and a shop should be able to diag and they should have the diag steps available already.

I can provide diag steps Your trying to diagnose a no crank issue. Follow these steps, and these can only be done and successful when this issue is occurring.

1. Check to see if there are codes stored, if so diagnose and resolve them.
  2. Monitor the theft light, if on or flashing when trying to start, reprogram the keys.
  3. Confirm the starter fuse is powered when trying to start.
  4. Remove the starter relay and confirm pins 1 and 5 are powered when trying to start.

--------------------

Please let me know if you are pleased with my help. If you are not please reply prior to rating the answer.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do this and get back to you. Thank you sir.

Okay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok fyi there is no codes before or after the problem ... same everytimr it happens.... I forgot to mention that when it doesnt start that the obdii plug has no communnication so you get nothing when attempting to start... no power to ignitions, engine, and no signal at obdii

Any luck on steps 2-3-4

No communication normally means the PCM is not getting all the powers and grounds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No on the steps.... could ignition problem cause no power to pcm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Couldnt get to the van to do the steps sorry

Yes an ignition switch issue can cause no power to the starter relay, PCM, and prevent communication ability.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok my electric guy says he has some kind of scope that records a video of what happens and that it will pin point any voltage issues or variance.... are you familiar with this and what isnyour opinion

Yes a tool like that would help if they are not able to diagnose the issue when the concern is occurring.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will continue to attemlt to try the steps and the scope and get back to you on this

OKay

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician