Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

I would just like to know if you can tow a 1998 RAV4 fwd

Customer Question

I would just like to know if you can tow a 1998 RAV4 fwd behind any vehicl
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought this vehicle and I thought you can tow it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I really do not know
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Just looking for info 4 cylinder auotomatic 186000 km
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, no you can not flat tow meaning all 4 wheels on the ground with and automatic trans,. manual trans you can, not automatic. The only way to tow is a type of dingy tow meaning front wheels off the ground on a trailer. Flat towing will damage the trans as axles turn but no internal lubrication, . Even in neutral it can not be flat towed. If it was a manual trans? then no problem just not automatics. The link I have attached is direct from Toyota Customer care center. I wish it could be for your sake but if you elect to tow all 4 wheels on the ground, you can get away for short 911 distances, just no further. One would have to remove both axles which is a lot of work for a towing event