mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My 2005 Highlander will not start I get a Shift to P error

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is a 2005 Highlander Hybrid, and it will simply not start the error message on the dash board is Shift to P to Start but the truck is in Park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That is the plan, as I am not sure what the cost will run
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok but are we sure we know what the problem is and will it be resolved on the page you send me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I did not understand your question
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.

are you able to shift the vehicle to neutral with the power on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can shift the vehicle to all gears, the vehicle will just not start. Shift to P when Starting show up on the odometer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a photo of the error message on my odometer

i apologize for the delay does the vehicle start when you put it in neutral first?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried that.

go ahead and try that. if it does start your park neutral switch has gone bad. but atleast this way you can drive it to a shop to have it repaired. if it doesnt start i still suspect the park neutral switch however you will have to have it towed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried everything nothing worked, I now have a Check VSC warming light

your park nuetral switch has gone bad and will need to be replaced. if the vehicle will not show ready in neutral you will need to have the vehicle towed to the nearest shop. the check vsc light is on most likely due to the park neutral switch