Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

After replacing positive battery cable and battery, car

Customer Question
won't start. Everything works...
After replacing positive battery cable and battery, car won't start. Everything works when I turn it in it just won't crank.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I may have blown a fuse. I checked inside ones except for the large one marked PWR NO1 cause I can't get it out.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: My brother replaced pod cable but crimped the red cord down to much. Was able to get it to start by having someone hold cable when cranking. Both another cable replaced it and this is where I am now.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for posting I need a little more information in order to help the best I can and understand what is going on:What year and model is this?Does the engine turn over but not fire up or do nothing at all? Do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light available?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
03 Camry turns over but won't fire up, I have tester
Thanks for the replyDoes the check engine light turn on when the key is turned to on?You need to check fuses under the hood, there is a 80amp large alternator fuse with a clear cover on it, since everything else works we can assume this fuse is good because it supplies power to most of the lectrical system, without looking at a wiring diagram at this time make sure the AM1 and the AM2 fuses are good, these are smaller and have a clear cover on them, check filaments inside. You may have to remove the cover and check voltage at the filament, if ok, check the other fuses with the key on, use the voltmeter to check, fuses that have power and are good will have power at both the metal tabs on top. After that open the diagnostic check connector under the hood and see if there is voltage to the B+ terminal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will start checking
Keep me posted .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fuses are good. What is diagnostic check connector?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by the way the reason I had to replace the positive battery cable was really bad corrosion had almost broke the metal part.
Does the check engine light turn on and stay on when the key is on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does but it always does cause I blew the 03 engine and a Toyota certified mechanic popped in an 06 engine 4 years ago and this is the first problem since then besides maintenance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Every time it's reset it comes back on immediately upon driving. Been like this for years.
Ok, the check connector is under the hood near the right front shock tower it's a small box with a cover that says diagnostic on it, the terminals are marked inside, turn the key on and see if there are 12 volts at the B+ terminal, Is it a V6 or $cylinder engine? I have to go offline for about 2 hours for an appointment but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Also check the label under the hood and let me know what engine number it has. After that I will have to look at a wiring diagram to see what is going on anyway.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4cyl engine # *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this the check connector see image
The image didn't load, I can't see it here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wasn't it and I can't find it. Do you have a diagram I can look at. Remember it's an 06 engine, is it in a different spot?
This engine has 4 ignition coils, one for each cylinder, let me know if this is correct.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does
Ok, check voltage to one of the coils at the connector with the key on, one wire( I think it's the blac/red one) should have a bout 12 volts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I put the tester on a coil the car will crank
I'm confused now, I thought it was cranking over but not starting, is it starting now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
starting my bad
Very odd, what happens if you put the connector back on like it was before?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will not start without tester on coil
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now it seems to be starting without tester.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is crazy
I agree because now I don't know how to proceed if it's running, do you happen to have a code reader?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't have a code reader and once again it will not start at all
Each coil has 4 wires according to my diagram a yellow/red/white and white/blaclkTurn the key on and let me know if the yellow wire has 12 volts to it, just the key on not trying to start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mine wires are red/white stripe, black/red stripe, white/red stripe and white/black strpe
Probably due to the different year model,anyway, one of the wires (probably the black/red one) should have voltage with the meter grounded, the white/black is a ground wire.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not getting anything. Probably not using tester right. Directions for this thing suck.
the dial is set wrong, rotate the red dial until the "O" ***** *****nes up with the blue 20v just below the "TEK" lettering, this is the 20 volt DC setting, you should see about 12 volts there with key on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I test the wires or unplug cop and test connector
Best to unplug and test at the terminals.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K might do that in a bit. To frustrated to do anything else right now.
No problem, take your time.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech