Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Help! I have a 2001 toyota tacoma amd it wont stay running

Customer Question
and idols extremely rough.Whole trucl...
Help! I have a 2001 toyota tacoma amd it wont stay running and idols extremely rough.Whole trucl shakes. No power. Ive relaced the spark plugwires, spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors, 1 and 5. Took it to a friend and he got a code 0300 code. What do i do to fix this problem? So frustrating..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/23/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Hello, I'm not able to see your pewvous message as this is a new thredI'm going to try and help with this going by what you said you have already replaced. The P0300 is , as you may already know a random multiple misfire which usually affects all cylinders. A couple of questions: Was the timing belt recently replaced, did this start recently all by itself or was anything done to the engine that may have caused this to start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the timing belt has not been replaced. Did nothing to the engone till after the fact. Repl
acedthe spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils, 4 of six injectors and it still wont idol, unless you floor it. Soon as you take your foot off the gas, it dies. The truck shakes bad and idols extremely rough. Replacing all this hasnt helped much.Now it gives the PO3OO code.
How many miles are on the engine and has the timing belt ever been replaced as far as you know?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No never and 220,000
Thanks, ***** ***** two things that I would check before doing anything else and you can do them in whatever order you wish but both need to be checked.Remove the upper plastic part of the timing cover and check the timing belt and the timing marks with the engine at TDC. Check the engine compression using a compression gauge, personally, I would do that first, it will give you a good idea if there is a timing problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thank you. I will try that. Pretty much at this point ypu are thinking its the timing belt? Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. Thentruck would lose power sometimes before all this but it would start and run as well as idol right. Then we got gas and as soon as we drove about 2 miles, truck lost ALL power and died on the freeway. Took us 20 minutes to even get it started to try and limp it back home. After that is when all this started. A friend hooked a gauge up to it and it had a couple codes.. P0303. Replaced thatcoil and injector.Still ran the same. Hooked the gauge back up again and got a P0301 and P0302 and a P1115. Then replaced injectors, 2, 4 and 6. Still wont run. Again hooked it up and got the P0300 code. Thats where im at now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only injectors we havent replaced is 1 and 5..
At over 200,000 miles on the original timing belt there is a good chance that it has jumped on the gears due to wear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh boy.. ok
Keep me posted on your progress.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do, thank you..
You're welcome.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do i look for marks on the timing belt?
No, just the marks on the crank pulley set at zero TDC on #1 cylinder, the cam gears are marked with lines on the front on the edge of each gear, these line up with the marks on the sheet metal behind the belt, let me know if you need an illustration.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please share with me an illustration
Give me a few moments.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Click on the highlighted linkIgnore the bottom part where it shows the crank gear, just set the crank pulley to the zero mark and make sure the marks on the cam gears are lined up like it shows.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ted i got the timing cover off , after turning the main crankshaft to 0 both left and right cam pullies looked to be on the mark on both .
Ok, the next step would be to check compression or if you can keep it running long enough check the intake vacuum, I keep thinking this is a mechanical issue not electrical, is there any smoke from the exhaust, do you feel exhaust pressure at the tail pipe?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry got booted. no smoke from tail pipe. this is a 5 vz fe motor. also not sure if it matters i have oil in my throttle body
I just re read one of your replies about getting gas and then it started acting up, it's possible that you may have gotten some contaminated gas, Why don't ypou pump some of the gas into a clean jar and see what it looks like.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is also leaked oil in the air filter housing .also after changing the coils it starts easier still runs raggid up to 2,000 rpm then smooth above 2,000 yet still will not idle .
Check the spark plugs and see if there is only oil on them. I would also check for a large vacuum leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the oil is getting into the motor and burning after i use compression coming down a hill and once i start in the next AM. yet i did not see oil in the intake when i removed it doing the injectors on 2,4,6. only in the throttle body and air filter areas. other than replacing injectors 1,&5 not sure what to look at . if i can get a compression tester what should i look for once i test them . are you thinking a burned valve could or would cause this.
Well, lets just say that this engine ,from what you're describing, has a serious problem, one of the basic things when an engine has some problems that normal repair procedures don't fix is to check it's compression for each cylinder, you're looking for at least 160 psi on all cylinders, if we can rule this out as a problem we can concentrateon other areas.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ill try and get a compression tester and run them all . then could an igniter be a possible cause. also not sure if it matters . the diagnossis was hooked up under the dash not the one in the engine compartment in case me and my friend are doing that in the wrong location.
The connector under the dash is the right one, it doesn't have a seperate igniter, this engine should have three coils on the passenger side firing all 6 cylinders, the igniters are incorporated into the coil packs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok glad to hear we had the right one . um there is also oil residue on an along the entire wiring harness that connects to just about every coil connection .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure if i or the misses mised this , this is a 5vz fe V6 motor .
that's the engine, I'm very familiar with these so I'm sure eventually we'll get this figured out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ted i missed a few of you'r replys . i did check the gas , it looked fine . also when i first changed the plugs i had oil all along and in the threads of # ***** . all the others were ok .
That is of some concern that's why I'm very curious about the compression.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i use a standard compression tester if i pull the valve covers or would i need the extended one . i don't have either .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok dumb question . on the compression tester , i may buy one and i'm looking at one that does rings, valves and head gaskets. will that work
it's best to get one with a rubber hose with a threaded end that is long enough to get into the spark plug holes.No need to remove the valve covers.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i'm not sure what else to ask until i do a compression check. my bad because the check engine light has been on for quite awhile and i did knothing about it. other than the third member going out iv'e never had a problem with this truck until now. so i guess i'm looking at maybe rings are shot , valve guide or maybe blown head gasquet .
Let's check the compression and go from there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i was going to also say i'm not 100 percent sure on what you mean in looking for a vacume leak as in which hose . and then the exhaust , it does not pop or backfire , yet at about 1,000 or so rpm it sounds like a putting sound.
That sound could be a leaking valve, to check for a vacuum leak it's best to use a vacuum gauge. The reason I asked about if there is any pressure felt at the tailpipe is that it may have a clogged converter but we need to start somewhere and the compression test would be a good idea.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok if i put my hand over the tail pipe what should i look for .
There should be quite a bit of pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ted sorry for taking so much of your time. for sure pressure on the tail pipe definate sound that it's missing and black soot .checked some vacumn hoses made it die and not sure which to check so am going to find a diagram of all hoses and check them all . not sure of spelling you mean the catelytic converter .
I meant the catalytic converter but not if it runs at higher rpm so I don't think thats the problem, let me know about the compression when you can.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech