Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I put new spark plugs in and now it's skipping JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

I put new spark plugs in and now it's skipping
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got some ngk spark plugs and put them in 1 by 1 and started the car and it's skipping...
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took all the spark plugs out and check the setting on all them and put them back in.. could them spark plugs not be for that car
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what year and model Toyota is this, how many miles on the odometer? What engine does it have? 4 cylinder, V6 or V8?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the NGK part number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cylinder and 245 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15650054
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spk plug-iridium ix 1 e 15650054
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks what model is it, truck ,camry corolla etc.? What is the NGK part number you used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
04 camry 2.4 l
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The number on the back of the box for plugs are bkr6eix-11 3764
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** plugs are ok to use, there should be no problem, the engine did not do this before replacing the spark plugs is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No never
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Is the check engine light staying on when driving or idling the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when driving it's blinking
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that confirms the engine has a misfire, we need to find out which cylinder is causing it. I would recommend that you check each coil electrical connector to make sure it's connected on tight, then remove each spark plug again and check to be sure the gap did not close when putting it in, compare all spark plugs to make sure the gap is the same, iridium plugs should never have to be gapped but it's possible that one closed up while installing. If you can't find the problem there I'm going to ask you to have the check engine light diagnosed by connecting a diagnostic code reader to get the trouble code, do you live in the US and in what state?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesh
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, go to an Autozone or other auto parts store like O Reilly when you have a chance and have the code read, they do this for free, let me know what the code number is ***** we can find out what's wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Good, let me know what you find out/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will let you know
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the information
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't go till in the morning
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
That's ok, take your time I will be here>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guy said its the number 1 cylinder
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok Check the spark plug coil connector, make sure it is plugged in all the way, remove that spark plug and check that the electrode gap did not get closed up when it was installed, check it for any cracks in the insulation, check the fuel injector wires and the fuel injector connectors . do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light, we may need it to check some wires to the coil, right now I think there may be a problem with that coil. #1 cylinder is the first one on the left when your in front of the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you find anything so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It the spark plug connectors
I priced them at advance and all over and they like 79 each
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I get one from a save yard with the female connectors also
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
you can try one from a junkyard for about 1/2 that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it best to get the coil and wire harness also.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
No, just get the coil unless the wires and connector are broken