Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have 2001 solara V6; with a mil code of P1155. I replaced

Customer Question
the Bank 1 Sensor 2...
I have 2001 solara V6; with a mil code of P1155. I replaced the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 probe. MIL code won't clear. checked for voltage at the connector B+ and brown wires with ign on, no voltage. Checked the 25amp A/F fuse that's good. What's the next step?
JA: Oxygen sensor issues can be easy or tough to fix -- your best bet is to connect with a mechanic before the problem gets worse. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: see previous text
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. P1155 is bank 2 sensor 1. This is the sensor that is the the front of the engine (radiator side); the first sensor. If you are replacing bank 1 sensor 2, you are replacing the wrong sensor. Bank 1 sensor 2 is the one after the catalytic converter. You want to replace the first sensor in the exhaust stream. When testing for voltage, there will be no voltage on any of the brown wires; this is the ground circuit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do they use the same replacement part?
Bank 1 sensor one is the first sensor on the back side of the V6. Bank 1 sensor 2 is the sensor after this one.Bank 2 sensor one is the first sensor on the front/radiator side. Bank 2 sensor 2 is the sensor after this one.You would do well to replace the faulty sensor with a genuine Toyota unit; non-Toyota sensors (commonly found in auto parts stores) will continue to set the code
They are all different because of the wire connector lengths
Additionally, the Bank one sensor one and bank 2 sensor 2 sensors are markedly different in their operation; they cannot be swapped.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to test the O2 probe before replacing? Do they all read 11 to 17 ohms
The resistance should be .8 to 1.4 ohms
11 to 17 would not be correct.
A p1155 usually requires replacement of the sensor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that for all four O2 probes? which wires do I measure a cross. I've been using an older manual ('92 to '96) because that all I have. It says to measure between the +B terminal and the HT and I should get 11 to 17 ohms. my mistake.
Power on B1S1 and B2S1 is found in the Black wires on this engine. Ground is the brown wires.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test the O2 probe?
Measure resistance between where the black wires are on the sensor wire connector. Black wire at the connector from the engine harness, black wire on the sensor harness
The only other way to test is via a scan tool that reads O2 operation, or an oscilloscope.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI, I just measured the resistance on the old Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 probe and my new one. they both read between 10 and 14 ohms. I then read the resistance on Bank 2 Sensor 1 and had an open circuit, so I agree I was probably on the wrong O2 probe, but it does look like the resistance on the probes them selves is much greater than your 0.8 to 1.4.
The book states .8 to 1.4; that would the the optimal. As the heaters grow older, the resistance would increase. When the resistance is open, or recognized by the computer as a short, the P1155 code is set
The book does not tell us at what resistance (above 1.4) causes the computer to set the code.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert