Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1998 Toyota Camry, took battery out put back in alarm goes

Customer Question
off and car will not...
1998 Toyota Camry, took battery out put back in alarm goes off and car will not crank or start. What do we do to get the alarm system off so we can start car???
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Took battery out of car and put back in.alarm system goes off and car will not crank or start because the alarm system goes off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses ,unlocked door and locked and unlocked
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No just when you hook battery cable up alarm goes off and car will not grind or start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/8/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
hello, thanks for posting hereI assume that you have no remote for the alarm system so here is something that may work, if not let me know and we'll go from there:Remove the key from the ignition Open the door and leave it opendisconnect the negative battery cableput the key back in and turn it to ONreconnect the battery then attempt to start with door open
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did not work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried what you said to do but it didn't work
It doesn't work on every system, is there a red led light on the dash or mounted just below the dash? does this light blink? Check for a small toggle switch mounted on the left kick panel and make sure it's set to the off position.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could not find a toggle switch in car.
Is there a red light on the dash, can you push on it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have tried to push red light, but same thing happens.
Turn the key off, push the button in and hold it, turn the key back on and wait until the light stops flashing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing happens horn and lights come on Wii not crank or start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tried everything you said,nothing worked would like a refund. 1 charged more then said. 2 nothing you said to try worked
Toyota Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
while the alarm is going off put key in drivers door and lock and unlock should kill alarm
Toyota Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
then it should start let me know if it works
Toyota Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
Im Chris by the way.
Toyota Mechanic: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
there is one more method we can try if it doesnt work you will need to find your valet button for the alarm if its aftermarket
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS