Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

VSC light flashing, skid icon is on engine light on JA: Sometimes

Customer Question
VSC light flashing, skid icon...
VSC light flashing, skid icon is on engine light on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Traveled from Baltimore to NY in the rain Friday evening got to NY parked up, did not drive until Sunday soon after i started and drove the vehicle the VSC and traction and engine light as well as 4lo came on
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible I want to fix it myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It was just in the dealer had the airpump replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/8/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Hello you don't say what year and model Toyota this is ? However with ABS / ESP systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, this is a 2008 tundra
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will i be able to drive the truck as I drove to NY and I live in Maryland
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get my last two messages?
Ok thanks for the extra information If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive. Just check the brake fluid level 1st The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer