How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ron Z. Your Own Question
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Category: Toyota
Satisfied Customers: 18961
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
Type Your Toyota Question Here...
Ron Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Highlander Limited 6 cyl: My 2006 Highlander ENG light and

Customer Question

My 2006 Highlander ENG light and VSC Indicator came on after medium speeding up a long hill. Is now running rough and smelling foul. What might have caused this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the Dealer is correct, this can be any number of things. More commonly though, given the year of the vehicle will be a "misfire" of some kind. Very commonly, this is a failed Ignition Coil. This means the coil is not sending power to the spark plug and results in the cylinder sending unburnt fuel through the system. This can result in Catalytic Converter damaged, which will produce a foul smell. This can also be the case of worn spark plugs. If the engine were under load (like speeding up a hill) and the spark plugs are not firing at full capacity, again, some amount of unburnt fuel is sent through the system. This can also be a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor. With this sensor faulty, the fuel and air mixture will not be correct and can affect engine performance. Unfortunately, again, no way to know for sure. At this point, the best bet is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer so we can see what the computer is seeing. These p-codes will point us in the direction of the part or sensor that has the problem and from there, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose and repair the problem. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.