Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2006 Toyota rav4 was driving down highway at 50

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Toyota rav4 was driving down highway at 50 vehicle just lost quit. I can spray gas in car throttlebody and it will start and run. I changed the fuel pump and the car still will not start
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
hello, thanks for posting Is it a 4 cylinder or V6?Have you checked for spark to the spark plugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cyl and the vehicle starts and runs if you spray gas in throttle body so def not spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its fuel problem
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replyyes, I agree with that, Have you checked the fuses in the panel under the hood, EFI fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take scan tool and turn fuel pump on and hear it, but the fuel pump don't turn on without scan tool
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
When using the scan tool you're bypassing relays and fuses, possibly a problem with the EFI relay or circuit opening relay.Are any codes present?Does it run while the pump is activated with the scanner?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Just before it quit running was there any indication that it may have a problem, misfire, loss of power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Is there power to the efi fuse on both ends?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes power on efi fuse
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
remove the efi relay, is there voltage at two terminals in the socket.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I find that, ive been looking for it for a hr 3 dif fuse blocks, nothing labeled
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
It may be labeled engine main relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if relay was bad I doubt I could turn fp off on with scan tool
does something shut fuel pump off in this vehicle if its bad?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump will shut off if airbags or seatbelt pretensioners are deployed? I'm looking at a wiring diagram trying to figure this out, before it quit running did it dlow down, lose power or anything unusual? Relays don't just pop like that all of a sudden. Are there any codes in the ECM?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
The fuel injectors can be cut off if there are other codes present, maybe a good idea to check injector pulse voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes, but I was just thinking same thing about pulse. so what is best wat to test pulse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok no pulse
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Use a small test light that plugs into the connector and crank the engine, it should flash but make sure first that the injector has supply voltage of about 12 volts to one wire, the other wire goes to the computer which sends the on/off signal
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
I have to go offline in ten minutes, I'll be back later this afternoon, if the matter is not resolved and is more urgent please do not rate my answers so far instead just relist or request another expert to take over for me.