Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I've been trying days to check the large amperage

Customer Question
I've been trying for several...
I've been trying for several days to check the large amperage fuses in my 2009 Vibe GT (2.4L) sister to the matrix/corrola. I keep removing more things every day. How do you check these. My AC is out. Light on. It was blowing hot air. Now I get no fan so my disassembly has caused another problem. I'd really like to check the fuse under the clear cover. All fuse check helps are on the top and easy.
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it is the fuse or continuity, yes. If I have to replace the compressor/clutch. Then I'd probably take that one in.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: A/C not working and now fan not blowing after reassembly. That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/4/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The large amperage fuses are not your issue. If they were, you would have a multitude of inoperative electrical circuits, not just the AC light. The main fuse (100 amps or more) is bolted to the buss bars inside the fuse box . The only way to check that fuse would be to disassemble the fuse box and then unbolt the fuse. This is totally unnecessary, because if the main fuse is bad, the car will not start. If this vehicle was in my shop, the very first thing I would be doing was a replacement of the AC compressor clutch relay (Labeled MG-CL or similar).
If the blower fan works, the large 50 amp HTR fuse is good.
Apologies, please strike that; looking at the wrong year Matrix.
Actually, the first thing to do here is determine if there is sufficient freon in the system.
The AC will not activate if the refrigerant charge is low. There is a pressure sensor that will not allow the AC amplifier to send power to the compressor if the pressure sensor is not seeing sufficient pressure.
Next. power to the AC button is via the HTR-IG fuse on a 2009 car. This fuse is in the panel under the dash on the driver side. It would be in the second slot, form the right, moving left, on the top row of fuses.
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have your response now. I do want to make sure you understand where I am now.
Lights work for A/C, Recirc, and Rear Defrost.
A/C doesn't work. No load put on engine when I push A/C button.
I tried to get to check large amp fuse on the bus under the clear cover. Lots of dismantling. I little dremel use to get to bolt. Never really got a clear idea of what those fuses are.
When I put back together, now all fans don't work.I can pretty much follow the above. 1) check freon, 2) check heater/IG fuse under dashIs this correct based on above. You sort of confused me with the 1st couple of responses.
Sorry about the delay; we are having some weather issues here. Storms knock out the internet. Correct. Check freon charge. If you can get one, get a AC manifold gauge. You need to see 32 PSI on the blue gauge. If it is lower than 28, you need freon. If it is above 35, you have a blockage in the system.
Please refer to the attached diagram
Locate fuse number 7 (on the left column), and see if it is blown.
Please refer to the attached diagram:
Locate fuse ECU-IG NO.2 and see if it is blown.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I'll check those now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok #7 on the buss looks ok. I'm not sure where to check continuity.IG2 no 2 ok.I didn't see one with EC. The 7.5 is ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Waiting for another suggestion to check. Can I get a set of schematics for my car? The Chilton's i bought only covers the 1.8L and I have the 2.4 L
Refer to the schematic that is for under the dashboard. Locate the HTR relay and pull it out. Turn the key on and check for power in each of the sockets. Advise the number of sockets with power in them (a 12 volt DC test light of DC voltmeter is necessary).
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician