Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Not the typical Sienna sliding door problem...Both power

Customer Question
sliding doors stopped working. Every...
Not the typical Sienna sliding door problem...Both power sliding doors stopped working. Every couple of weeks, they will work for a few days, then stop. Cable assembly was recently replaced in passenger door (typical cable/spool problem).Some observations that may help diagnosis:
1. Right/Driver's side sliding door still pulls shut the final 1/4" or so...servo pulls door shut but left door has to be slammed to lock.2. Right door ecm was swapped with used unit, no change3. Door locks work fine4. Replaced servo/latch assembly on right door, still not working.5. When doors go dead, they do not work from any input...key fob, interior switches, or exterior door handle.6. When doors work, there is an audible alert that lets driver know that door is ajar. When the doors go dead, the audible alarm feature goes dead as well.2004 Toyota Sienna xle
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
5/3/2016
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.This sounds like either a controller problem or an electrical issue common to both doors. Check for power to both doors when this is happening and also check your grounds. You can also attach a scan tool to get valuable information as well.Thanks, Ron
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would I check for power? Which grounds in particular?
Right at the connector itself, they are both there,power and ground.Thanks again and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is this connector? In the door? Do I have to remove the panel?
Yes, also check the main harness that is wrapped with insulation and goes to each door. maybe a wire got crushed.Thanks, Ron
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are multiple harnesses, two to the ecm, the power window motor, the door lock assembly, the rear latch motor. Obviously, the door lock and power window are getting power. The others have many wires. You've got to be more specific in helping me out, eg, which wire, what color, which switch to press. Each door ecm has two harnesses, one with 6 wires, the other with more than 20.
Okay,go to the door itself and check the connectors there. Have you done this before?Thanks, Ron
Toyota Mechanic: Ase Master, Tech replied 1 year ago
Ase Master
This is usually caused by a faulty door control unit or blown fuse were these checked ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's no separate fuse for the door...just a long metal bar fuse that looks good (not melted). The windows/locks work so the door is getting power.I swapped the door ecm (right door) with a used unit... no change. I assumed it was the right door ecm that might have been the problem since that's the door that doesn't even latch shut on its own. The left door does. Is there any way to test the door ecm?I know that earlier models have a door control unit under the dash but not sure that the 2004 model does.
Different expert here are you sure the fuse able link is good ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Visually, it looks fine. Nothing burned or melted, especially across the "gap" for the rh and lh door circuit. Doors are getting power as the power windows/ locks on both doors and the latching solenoid on the right door are working.
Ok then it has to be the power sliding door control unit.If you put directhe power to the sliding door motors do they operate. If they do the sliding door control unit is shorted internally and needs to be focused on next. This is the next step. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
"The sliding door control unit is shorted internally and needs to be focused on next."
Which one?
I'm sorry the drivers it gives the signals to both doors to operate also make sure the door switch is not damaged as well
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll get the doors opened up this weekend and make sure voltage is getting out from the dash switch to the door ecm's.
Excellent. I'm here if you need anything else. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got the door panels off today. Harnesses to both driver and passenger side door ecm's are getting 12v power. Didn't know the wire identification but both sides had power to same wires, no power to same wires. The driver's door that latches shut with solenoid has 12v going to door latch assembly, passenger door doesn't.
Ok so the passenger door has no power correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
passenger door is getting power to the ecm but the latching solenoid on that door isn't getting powerboth doors get power to lock/unlock and windows up/down.only driver's door latching solenoid pulls door shut when it is 98% closed manually
passenger's door must be slammed shut ...latching solenoid not working---not getting power.
Ok so the issue is its losing power through the ECM for the passenger door which is causing the issue. Replacing the passenger ECM should take care of this issue.This would be the next step.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got one on order...will let you know how it turns out.
Ok keep me posted. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well, new door ecm's came today...made no difference. symptoms are exactly the same...no power open/close on both side sliding doors, no latch solenoid function on passenger side door (solenoid assembly is not getting power).
Ase Master
Ase Master
Ase Master, Tech