Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Bought a 02 Prius. It makes a metallic "tinkle" mostly when

Customer Question
Bought a 02 Prius....
Bought a 02 Prius. It makes a metallic "tinkle" mostly when decelerating. Only has 86K miles. Really cool car but I'm worried, Bought it for my son to go to college.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I start up it is noisiest. But is pretty constant. The closest I can come to that noise was when I burned the valves in a Fiat years ago. Sounds like a rattle of something tinny or metalic.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm no mechanic, so it would have to be super easy for me. If it were an old car (I'm 69) I might have a prayer. But once the world went to fuel injection I got lost in the shuffle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No, I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
4/30/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Hello, thanks for postingDoes the noise change or stop when turning the a/c on? It could also be a water pump noise, very common on these engines or a drive belt tensioner pulley noise.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so
Son agrees.
Thanks for the reply, have those things checked, from what your describing it sounds like it may be a drive belt tensioner pulley bearing.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech