Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool

Customer Question
hooked to it to make...
2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool hooked to it to make it run. In drive it stalls, drop it in 1 and it will idle good.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have the instrument cluster, radio, kick panels taken out looking for a pinch wire. Nothing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trace the wire harness from the fuse box outside to the alternator. That checked out good.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No. I bought it used with that problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
4/28/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.When you have you scan tool connected are you able to run a scan and detect any fault codes? If you can get me any fault codes its setting I will see if I can help you determine the cause.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0773, P1125, P1128 & P1633
The codes P1125 and P1128 indicate a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Motor usually resulting in a throttle body/motor replacement. You can check this with the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TB%20Apr%2028.pdfThe transmission code P0773 can be set due to any of the following,Electronic Control Module (ECM)SL SolenoidWiringhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SL%20solenoid%20APr%2028.pdfThe SL solenoid is located on the valve body. See its location in the link below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SL%20loc%20Apr%2028.pdfThe code P1633 in most cases set due to a failing ECM (computer) which is the first code I would deal with . This code in most cases means the ECM has failed as well. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ECM%20Apr%2028.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the vehicle is in first gear I can drive without any issues. When i put it in drive the vehicle wants to stall out an a banging noise comes from either the transmission or the engine. The throttle body was replaced an this is not a fly by wire.
The code that needs to be addressed first is the P1633. A failing ECM can affect the engine as well as the transmission.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a computer. It is not allowing me to program. Half way through the programming it boots out. Even the Toyota scan tool.
If its not allowing you to program it and you following the steps correctly then its likely a defective computer.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician