Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool

Customer Question

2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool hooked to it to make it run. In drive it stalls, drop it in 1 and it will idle good.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have the instrument cluster, radio, kick panels taken out looking for a pinch wire. Nothing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trace the wire harness from the fuse box outside to the alternator. That checked out good.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No. I bought it used with that problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.When you have you scan tool connected are you able to run a scan and detect any fault codes? If you can get me any fault codes its setting I will see if I can help you determine the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0773, P1125, P1128 & P1633
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The codes P1125 and P1128 indicate a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Motor usually resulting in a throttle body/motor replacement. You can check this with the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TB%20Apr%2028.pdfThe transmission code P0773 can be set due to any of the following,Electronic Control Module (ECM)SL SolenoidWiringhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SL%20solenoid%20APr%2028.pdfThe SL solenoid is located on the valve body. See its location in the link below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SL%20loc%20Apr%2028.pdfThe code P1633 in most cases set due to a failing ECM (computer) which is the first code I would deal with . This code in most cases means the ECM has failed as well. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/ECM%20Apr%2028.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the vehicle is in first gear I can drive without any issues. When i put it in drive the vehicle wants to stall out an a banging noise comes from either the transmission or the engine. The throttle body was replaced an this is not a fly by wire.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The code that needs to be addressed first is the P1633. A failing ECM can affect the engine as well as the transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a computer. It is not allowing me to program. Half way through the programming it boots out. Even the Toyota scan tool.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If its not allowing you to program it and you following the steps correctly then its likely a defective computer.