How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris (aka-Moose) Your Own Question
Chris (aka-Moose)
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Category: Toyota
Satisfied Customers: 947
Experience:  16 years of experience
Type Your Toyota Question Here...
Chris (aka-Moose) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tacoma: Need help changing my flex plate on my 2003 toyota

Customer Question

Need help changing my flex plate on my 2003 toyota tacoma. I have read the directions for this, but am still having trouble. how would you go about removing it? I have all of the proper tools for this job.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist you are almost there. you will need to remove the cross member, support the engine at the oil pan. support the trans and transfer case. and unbolt the trans from the motor. walk the trans back enough to access the bolts for the flywheel. remove them, the flywheel and install the new one. you will need to torque the bolts. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. they manual says i need to remove the front differential, is that the case? my transmission is the A340F. and i am having trouble removing the bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque converter. i can barely get a socket on them.
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
how far back do you have the trans???? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havent moved the trans at all yet. i was under the impression i needed to undo those bolts first. should i undo the bellhousing bolts first. move the trans back a bit, then take those tc bolts off?
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
remove the torque converter bolts first then the troque converter should turn free of the flywheel then unbolt and move the trans Roy