Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Alarm goes off while car is parked/locked in the driveway,

Customer Question

alarm goes off while car is parked/locked in the driveway, happens a couple of times. COncern for today, my husband is a minister and is doing a funeral. Trying to problem solve and avoid a problem
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hope it is easy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: 2008, 195K
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The short term fix is to not allow the system to arm; ie, during the service, allow the car to idle in park. The long term permanent fix is to determine why the alarm is activating. This can be several things. Most often, if this is a factory system, the glass breakage sensor needs to be turned down. This is a small black box under the left side of the dash. Under certain windy conditions, the wind whistling by the car mimics the frequency of glass breaking (wind chimes does the same thing). This causes the alarm to activate. The second most common cause is the door switches. If the doors are not causing the door switch to completely dis-engage, any motion of the car (wind, etc) will move the doors a bit. A loose door/switch fit will activate the alarm every time. The third most common is the hood switch. A good technician that knows this particular alarm system would know what to check with regard to false theft activation (door switches/glass break sensor/hood/trunk switches, etc. Since there are several different possibilities, it would be difficult to say exactly which one you have.