Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Ned Hedrick, Have 1988 corolla, with 1.6 dohc engine, carburated,

Customer Question
engine will start but runs...
Ned Hedrick, Have 1988 corolla, with 1.6 dohc engine, carburated, engine will start but runs on two cylinders, #1 and *2 no fire on #3 and #4, have new coil,new dist.cap new rotor button,and plugs and plug wires, What else could be wrong, (ignition ignighter,mabe?)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Don't know how but one night a severe storm flooded engine compartment, nest morning when i started it the engine was missing, only think i can think of is water got in two cylinders an baby have cracked pistons.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
4/22/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There are two things that can cause this: timing belt or the water. Water ingestion inside the cylinders is most likely the issue. If the car is running on cylinders 1 and 2, the igniter and the rest of the electronic system is OK. I would recommend you have the compressions check on cylinders 3 and 4. If the compressions are very low, you either have piston issues or valve issue. It is possible that the timing belt has jumped, throwing the cam timing off to allow proper placement of the valves for combustion on cyls 3 and 4. Set the crank pulley on TDC and pull the distributor cap off. The end of the rotor needs to be under the section of the cap that is connected to #1 cylinder. If that is where the rotor is, I suspect valve or piston issues.
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert