Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

In Houston. Just checked on my 2013 Toyota Prius

Customer Question
***** ***** in Houston. Just...
***** ***** in Houston. Just checked on my 2013 Toyota Prius C and the flood is up to the door and the inside is flooded. Is it totally ruined?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The water is up to the gear column. The key to open the lock worked and unlocked the car
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey. Am I still being billed for this?
4/18/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionHaving lived in Florida back in 2004 when we had 4 hurricanes hit and the flooding that came with them, my experience with flood vehicles is to get rid of it. The reason is that the water, even if cleaned out relatively quickly, gets into the wiring harness thru the connectors at wiring harness splices and joints, as well as at the various electrical components and computers and over time corrosion sets in.This in turn causes various electrical failures that may happen 6 months down the road, 1 yr or even 2 yrs down the road.The ONLY way to prevent this is to replace absolutely every wiring harness that got wet and every electrical component that the wiring goes to. And I never came across an insurance company that would do that. They will authorize to repair what was initially found wrong on post flood inspection, then require you to sign off on it. So down the road when other things fail, you are financially responsible for it as no car warranty will cover it at that point. So again, based upon my experience, I would get rid of the vehicle now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's salt water though.
HI,Water is water as far as corrosion is concerned and delicate electronics are concerned. And about 1/2 the cars that were damaged were from rainwater flooding from the storm cells of the hurricanes. I stand by my assessment. If you decide to keep it, UNLESS ALL with the wiring harnesses, splices, joints, connectors, control modules, sensors, etc. that got wet or connected to some thing that got wet, you will have problems down the road. Fresh water will do every bit as much damage as saltwater when a vehicle is flooded as deeply as yours was Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager