Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Yaris: When I put gasoline into my car, the gas hose

Customer Question
When I put gasoline into...
When I put gasoline into my car, the gas hose clicks off, as if the tank is full. This happens when I know the tank is not full. It takes a very long time, slowly adding gasoline. This problem just started. Car is a 2007 Toyota Yaris. Please advise. Thanks, Joe
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
4/16/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In order to fix this we first have to describe how the fuel nozzle works. When you put fuel into the car, air is forced out of the tank. There is a sensor at the end of the fuel nozzle that measure the velocity of the air being pushed out of the tank by the introduction of the fuel. When the air velocity reaches a certain level, the sensor commands the pump nozzle to shut off. Toyota cars utilize a small pipe to vent the air from the tank out of the filler neck, past the end of the nozzle. This is the small hole above the larger one where you fuel the car. What you most likely have here is the air-exit tube for the tank has a collapse or otherwise clogged situation. This causes all of the air in the tank to exit up the main tube where the gas is entering the tank. This air is what is commanding the nozzle to shut off. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the fuel filler neck rubber hose connections checked where the small metal tube is connected to the fuel tank. Most often, we find that this small hose has a kink in it, and this does not allow the air to leave the tank in the manned necessary.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert