Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We just replaced our battery today, and the car initially started

Customer Question
up just fine, but now...
We just replaced our battery today, and the car initially started up just fine, but now won't start. Seems to only want to start after we have unplugged the battery and reconnected it, however once the car is turned off, we cannot restart it.
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Only if we disconnect the battery and reconnect it.
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: We just bought it today.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: We have a smart key for this car
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Car is a smart key equipped 2009 Toyota Venza V6.
4/10/2016
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer
did you clean the terminals? if your terminals are too dirty they will loose contact after the first start up. als if they are not full secured and tight. it is surprising but it doesnt take very much for the battery to disconnect itself. next time if doesnt start try just twisting the negative and see if you get power.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We've tried that. The issue is that car won't give us the green light on the ignition button to start...it will only go to ignition on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Except, if course, after we disconnect the battery.
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
have you tried holding the start button down for a few seconds around 10 while trying to start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, and nothing happened.
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
sounds like the battery is not being recognized by the computer after the first start. sometimes on these newer vehicles they allow you to start the car once so the service department can relearn the car to the battery. and also the idle relearn procedure aswell.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So, what do we do? Is there any series of steps we can do at home, or are we forced to take it to the dealership? This seems silly, since all we did was replace an old battery.
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
it does seem silly but yes the only people that can do this are the dealership.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Thank you for your help.
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
if you could take a moment i would appreciate if you would leave me a rating
mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer