Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Replaced the power steering pump on 2000 Tacoma

Customer Question
***** ***** Replaced the power...
***** ***** Replaced the power steering pump on 2000 Tacoma Prerunner and still had noise. Cleaned screen on reservoir and flushed system. Now power steering is hard to turn. It is not hard to turn when on jack.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We no longer have the noise, just no power steering.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just drove it down the road. When you turn, it pushes fluid out of the top of the reservoir.
4/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer
with the vehicle on jack stands or in the air and the engine off. turn the wheel lock to lock about 5 times each. at times you can get an air pocket in the pump itself that will not allow fluid to flow. and you most likely have no noise because there is no fluid. the noise comes from a mix of air and fluid. all of either creates nothing. you may get fluid to push out of the reservoir while doing this but that is okay. if the fluid never seems to go down in the reservoir before starting it you may have an issue in either the rack or this new pump depending on what brand it is some aftermarkets are not the best quality.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
turned it lock to lock for 30-45 minutes still pushing fluid out the top of reservoir & getting a few bubbles
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
what was the reasoning for you to change the old pump? noise, leaking? just trying to get a base idea of how it was before.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pump was bad making loud noise
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
what you want to do is unbolt the pressure line coming from the pump and with the belt off turn the pump by hand to see if it is pumping fluid as it should go slow because if it is pumping out a lot.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that it was not pumping, went got another pump doing same thing, both pumps were remanufactured. Now ordering a new pump.
Toyota Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
let me know what happens i would be glad to be of more help. if you have a moment i would appreciate if you could leave me a rating.
mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer